It is a fact that the South African premier league is one of the best leagues in Africa, as the league boast of some of the best stadiums in Africa, and was ranked the 7th best league in Africa based on the number of points amassed in CAF’s inter-clubs competition since February, 2019 according to footballdatabase.com and it was rated the 6th best league in Africa according to the CAF 5- Year Ranking system.
The League boasts of some of the best teams in the continent, given the fact that four South African teams were part of the top 25 teams in Africa and according to an article by sokkaa.com, the ABSA Premiership valuation stood at £130.91 million.
This piece looks at the list of the ABSA Premiership since its maiden edition in 1996. Before we consider the list, here are some important facts to note about the ABSA Premiership.
- The ABSA premiership also known as the premier soccer league kicked off in 1996/97.
- It has sixteen teams of which the sixteenth team at the end of every season gets relegated to the national first division, while the 15th team at the end of the football season gets to participate in promotion Play-offs with two other member clubs from the National First Division.
- The winner of the league and the second-placed team advances to the CAF Champions League, while the third-placed team will feature in the CAF Confederation Cup.
- The winner of the ABSA Premiership takes home R10 million in prize money together with a trophy.
- Although the current number of teams in the ABSA premiership stands at 16, this was not the number before the 2001-2002 Football season. Prior to the 2001-2002 season, the total number of teams in the competition stood at 18.
- The winner of the maiden edition is manning rangers and it is now defunct.
- Mamelodi Sundowns has won the league 9 times more than any other club in the division.
- There are two teams in the history of the league that has won the league three times in a row Mamelodi Sundowns (1997-98, 1998-99, 1999-00) and SuperSport United (2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10).
- Ted Dumitru (Mamelodi Sundowns(2), and Kaizer Chiefs, 2) Gordon Igesund, Gavin Hunt (SuperSport United(3), SuperSport United, 1) and Pitso Mosimane (Mamelodi Sundowns,4), has won the league four times as a coach, and only Gordon Igesund has won the league with four different clubs (Manning Rangers, Orlando Pirates, Santos and Mamelodi Sundowns)
ABSA PSL WINNERS LIST
2017/18 – Mamelodi Sundowns
2016/17- Bidvest Wits
2015/16 – Mamelodi Sundowns
2014/15 – Kaizer Chiefs
2013/14 – Mamelodi Sundowns
2012/13 – Kaizer Chiefs
2011/12 – Orlando Pirates
2010/11 – Orlando Pirates
2009/10 – SuperSport United
2008/09 – SuperSport United
2007/08 – SuperSport United
2006/07 – Mamelodi Sundowns
2005/06 – Mamelodi Sundowns
2004/05 – Kaizer Chiefs
2003/04 – Kaizer Chiefs
2002/03 – Orlando Pirates
2001/02 – Santos
2000/01 – Orlando Pirates
1990/00 – Mamelodi Sundowns
1998/99 – Mamelodi Sundowns
1997/98 – Mamelodi Sundowns
1996/97 – Manning Rangers