Registering the Birth of a Child Born out of Wedlock in South Africa


Child Born out of Wedlock

Children born out of wedlock are given the mother’s surname when they are registered. They can also be registered under their biological father’s surname if the father recognizes paternity and both the father and the mother consent in the presence of a Home Affairs official to the registration of the child under the father’s surname.

  Full List of SARS Offices in North West

Form BI-24 must be filled out (in black ink only) and sent to the nearest Department of Home Affairs office if you are in South Africa, or the nearest South African embassy, mission, or consulate if you are outside of South Africa.

An abridged birth certificate is issued free of charge once the child’s birth has been registered, usually a day or two after the registration application has been submitted.


Leave a Reply