Christo Wiese (born 10 September 1941) is a South African businessman and former billionaire. The source of his wealth is consumer retail and he is one of the richest men in South Africa.
His popularity in the world of business grew after he joined Pepkor Stores. The business tycoon has gained over fifty years of business experience and he has also built a huge business empire and other enterprises.
|Full Name||Christoffel F. Hendrik Wiese|
|Date of Birth||10 September 1941 (age 82 years old)|
|Net Worth||$742 million (2017)|
Christo Wiese Age
He was born on the 10th of September 1941Upington, South Africa. As of 2023, he is 82 years old and celebrates his birthday on September 10th every year.
Christo Wiese Wife
Wiese is married to Caro Wiese and together they live in Cape Town and have three children namely – Jacob, Christiana, and Clare.
Jacob Wiese works for Pepkor and is expected to take over from him when he retires.
He had his secondary school education at Paarl Boys’ High School in the Western Cape region of South Africa. Wiese graduated from Stellenbosch University where he received BA and LLB degrees.
According to Forbes, Christo Wiese has an estimated net worth of around $744 million (November 2019).
- Non-Executive Chaiman | INVICTA HOLDINGS LIMITED
2006 – present
Accounting, Banking and Finance
- Chair | Pepkor Limited
1981 – present
- Consumer Goods, Fashion and Retail
- Director | Lenco Holdings Limited
- Chairperson | Pepgro Limited
- Executive Chairman | TRADEHOLD LIMITED
- External Director | SASOL LIMITED
- Director | KWV
- Owner | Lanzerac Manor & Winery
Consumer Goods, Fashion and Retail
Chair | Brown & Jackson plc
- Independent Non-Executive Director | AFRICAN DAWN CAPITAL LIMITED
South Africa; Accounting, Banking and Finance
- Independent Non-Executive Director | PSG GROUP LIMITED
Accounting, Banking and Finance
- Chair | SHOPRITE HOLDINGS LIMITED
- Director | Co-Operative Winegrowers of SA
- Chairperson | BoE (Pty) Ltd
- Director | Titan Financial Services
- Chairperson | Smart Centre Holdings
- Director | Monex Group of companies
- Chairperson | Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa Limited
- Director | Metropolitan Life Limited
- Chairperson | Orion Selections Holdings Limited
- Executive Director | Pep Stores (1967 – 1973)
- University of Cape Town
Bachelor of Arts
- University of Stellenbosch
Doctorate – Commerce honoris
- Diagonal Strategic Communicator of the Year
- Marketing Manager of the Year | Institute of Marketing Management
- Business Leader of the Year | Cape Town Sakekamer
- Pioneer of the 20th Century Award | South African Council of Shopping Centres
- MS Louw Award for Exceptional Business Achievements
Intellidex Richest Men in South Africa List | 2012
5 Things You Should Know About Christo Wiese
- Christoffel Wiese built his Pepkor retail empire by offering bargain prices in South Africa and expanded into other African countries.
- In 2015, South Africa-based furniture retailer Steinhoff International spent $5.7 billion in cash and stock to acquire Pepkor.
- Wiese stepped down as chairman of Steinhoff International in December 2017 after the company disclosed accounting irregularities.
- He also owns 18% of publicly-traded Shoprite Holdings, which has supermarkets and furniture stores in 15 countries across Africa.
- His other assets include stakes in private equity firm Brait, industrial products company Invicta Holdings and mining-sector investor Pallinghurst.