Pieter-Dirk Uys (born 28 September 1945) is a South African performer, author, satirist, and social activist known as Evita Bezuidenhout, an Afrikaner socialite.
Pieter-Dirk Uys Age
He was born on the 28th of September 1945 in Cape Town, South Africa. As of 2020, he is 76 years old and celebrates his birthday on September 28th every year.
Pieter-Dirk Uys earned his B.A. from the University of Cape Town, where he began his acting career under the guidance of Rosalie van der Gught, Mavis Taylor, and Robert Mohr, among others. Little Malcolm and His Struggle Against the Eunuchs, The Fantasticks, and Once Upon a Mattress were among his films at the time.
In the early 1970s, he went on to study at the London Film School. For the first time, he performed in drag in one of his student films, a milk advertising (as a milkmaid). He subsequently embarked on a phase as a serious playwright in his dramatic career.
Several of his plays were staged at the Space Theatre in Cape Town, and his 1979 piece Paradise is Closing Down was co-produced by William Burdett-Coutts and later produced for Granada Television in 1981. At the height of the Apartheid era, he switched to performing one-man revues.
Awards and honors
- The 2011 TMSA Naledi Lifetime Achiever Award
- Special Teddy Award at the Berlin International Film Festival (Berlinale) 2011
- Reconciliation Award in 2001
- Mrs Evita Bezuidenhout was awarded the Living Legacy 2000 Award in San Diego
- The lifetime achievement award from the Cape Tercentenary Foundation
- Doctor honoris causa from
- Rhodes University: D.Litt. (Hon.), 1997
- University of Cape Town: D.Litt. for distinguished, socially-responsible creative work in 2003
- University of the Western Cape: D.Ed. (Hon.), 2003
- 2018 Hertzog Prize for drama
Pieter-Dirk Uys Books
- Farce about Uys : A Legal Assembly in Two Riotous Acts (1983) Jonathan Ball and Ad. Donker Publishers ISBN 0-86850-077-1
- Selle ou storie: A play (1983) Ad. Donker, Johannesburg ISBN 0-86852-027-6
- Paradise Is Closing Down and Other Plays (1989) Penguin Books Ltd ISBN 0-14-048228-8
- Funigalore: Evita’s Real-Life Adventures in Wonderland (1995) The Penguin Group (SA) Pty Ltd ISBN 0-14-025313-0
- The Essential Evita Bezuidenhout (1997) David Philip Publishers, Cape Town ISBN 0-86486-349-7
- A Part Hate a Part Love: The Legend of Evita Bezuidenhout (1994) Hond, Groenkloof ISBN 1-874969-08-6
- No space on Long Street ; Marshrose : two plays (2000) ComPress, Cape Town ISBN 978-1-919-83310-1
- Trekking to Teema (2001) Compress, Cape Town ISBN 1-919833-10-2
- Elections & Erections: A Memoir of Fear and Fun (2003) Zebra Press, Cape Town ISBN 1-86872-665-7
Films and documentaries
- Skating on thin Uys, a 1985 comedy lampooning P.W. Botha
- Darling! The Pieter–Dirk Uys Story, a 2007 documentary by Julian Shaw
- How to make Rooibos Rusks with Evita Bezuidenhout, a 2016 YouTube by SuzelleDIY
Pieter-Dirk Uys Net Worth
He has an estimated net worth of $300,000 which he has earned as a performer, author, satirist, and social activist.