DJ Lag (born 1995) is a South African DJ, producer and one of the pioneering creators of Gqom. He is popularly known as the King of Gqom.
In 2019, DJ Lag notably collaborated with Tierra Whack, Beyonce, ,Moonchild Sanelly, Nija, Yemi Alade, and Busiswa on a track called “My Power” on Beyoncé’s record, The Lion King: The Gift.
DJ Lag Age
He was born in 1995 in Clermont township in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. DJ Lag is 25 years old as of 2020.
DJ Lag Career
Releasing his first EP on Whatsapp, DJ Lag began is career using methods unorthodox to Western distribution methods common in Gqom’s formative years.Fans signed up on the DJ’s website with the promise that an exclusive EP would be delivered to them via the mobile messaging app free of charge, with the help of Black Major, an artist management agency based in Cape Town.
DJ Lag’s specific style is known to be focused on what local producers dubbed “uthayela” (an isiZulu word for “corrugated iron” which describes the rough timbre and hard bass-lines specifically made for listening to in club settings.
Music connoisseurs who were pivotal in influencing the genre’s international acclaim included the likes of South African rapper Okmalumkoolkat, Italian record label Gqom Oh owner, Malumz Kole inclusive of music taste-maker and public relations liaison, Cherish Lala Mankai, Afrotainment record label owner DJ Tira and Babes Wodumo.
In late 2016 at the age of 21, DJ Lag made his live global debut at the Unsound Festival in Poland and finishing up at Seoul’s Cake Shop nearly a month later. Since then, he’s performed at Afropunk New York City and secured a residency at RinseFM. He also embarked on a four-part worldwide tour called #GqomThePresent and was featured on BBC Radio 1, including shows by Diplo and Benji B, with a BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix set hosted by Pete Tong. DJ Lag was a featured speaker at the 2019 Amsterdam Dance Event (ADE).
EPs and Singles
- 2016: DJ Lag 12″ EP (Goon Club Allstars)
- 2016: Ice Drop EP (Goon Club Allstars)
- 2017: Trip to New York (Black Major) – originally via Whatsapp
- 2018: Jika single with DJ Vumar and Biggie (Ice Drop Records)
- 2018: 3 Step Culo single (Goon Club Allstars)
- 2018: Stampit 12″ EP (Goon Club Allstars)
- 2018: Going Modd ft Epic B (Swing Ting Records)
- 2019: Nyusa single with Okzharp (Hyperdub)
- 2019: Steam Rooms with Okzharp 12″ EP (Hyperdub)
- 2019: Uhuru EP (Good Enuff)
- 2019: Anywhere We Go single with Shekhinah (Parametric Records)
- 2018: The Originators by various artists limited edition vinyl 12″ split – “Daisies” by DJ Lag (Gqom Oh!)
- 2019: WKC012 by Dmtrs We Flaco limited edition 7″ single – “Imaginery Drumming” by Heviweit and DJ Lag (self-released)
- 2019: The Lion King: The Gift by Beyoncé – “My Power” by Tierra Whack, Beyoncé, Moonchild Sanelly, Nija, DJ Lag, Yemi Alade, Busiswa (Parkwood Entertainment LLC, Columbia, Sony Music Entertainment)
- 2018: “Down Low – DJ Lag Remix Extended, Weird Together feat. Moonchild Sanelly”
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
- The contents of this page are sourced from Wikipedia article on 28 Nov 2020. The contents are available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license.