Charles Nqakula (born 13 September 1942) is a South African politician who serves as High Commissioner to the Republic of Mozambique from South Africa. He was appointed by President Jacob Zuma in 2012.
He previously served as Minister of Defence from September 2008 to 2009 and as Minister for Safety and Security from May 2002 to September 2008.
Charles Nqakula Age
He was born on 13 September 1942 in Eastern Cape, South Africa. Nqakula is 79 years old as of 2021 and celebrates his birthday on September 13th every year.
Charles Nqakula Wife
He is married to Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula MP. His wife is the South African Minister of Defence and Military Veterans.
Charles Nqakula Education
Nqakula had his primary education at Cradock and secondary education at Lovedale. He matriculated in 1963.
Charles Nqakula Career
Nqakula started his career as a journalist, covering political news from 1966 to 1982. He began his political career as a Publicity Secretary for the United Democratic Front (1983) and joined the South African Communist Party in 1991 but was appointed as a MP and Member of the National Executive Committee for the ANC in 1994.
Nqakula was selected as a Parliamentary Councilor for the Office of the President in 1999 and became a Deputy Minister for the Department of Home Affairs in 2001. In 2002 he became the Minister for Safety and Security and thereafter the Minister of Defense (2008-2009).
He has been the National Chairman for the South African Communist Party since 1999; Political Advisory to the Presidency since 2009; and the High Commissioner for the Republic of Mozambique since May 2012.
- Chairperson at Joint Standing Committee on Intelligence (Joint Committees) since 2nd May 2019
- Member at African National Congress (ANC) (Party)
- Chairperson at Joint Standing Committee on Intelligence (Joint Committees) from 5th May 2016 until 18th June 2018
- Member at National Assembly (Parliament) from 30th May 2014 until 18th June 2018
- Member at Ethics and Members’ Interests (Joint Committees) until 23rd May 2017
- Member at Joint Standing Committee on Intelligence (Joint Committees) until 5th May 2016
- 127th Candidate at African National Congress National Election List 2014 (Election List) from 22nd April 2014 until 7th May 2014
- Member at National Assembly (Parliament) from 6th May 2009 until 1st June 2009
Charles Nqakula Net Worth
Nqakula has an estimated net worth of $1 million which he has earned from his successful career.