In order to drive on a public road in South Africa for the purpose of making a living while transporting commodities, dangerous goods, or passengers, you must hold a professional driving permit (PDP).
To operate public transportation and heavy duty vehicles such as taxis, buses, and breakdown vehicles, a professional driving permit (PrDP) is required. There are some exceptions, such as driving a tractor, which do not require a PDP.
A professional driving permit was originally known as a public drivers permit (PDP) and was issued to drivers prior to 1998. If you drive any of these vehicles, you must have a valid professional driver’s license:
- Vehicles for transporting goods (more than 3 500 kg).
- Dismantle vehicles.
- Coaches (any bus).
- Minibus taxis (weighing more than 3 500 kg) that transport 12 or more passengers, including the driver.
- Vehicles that transport people for a fee.
- Vehicle transporting dangerous goods (more than 3 500 kg).
- Tankers on the road for petroleum-based flammable liquids.
- Vehicles that transport 12 or more people, including the driver.
If you own a motor vehicle that requires a professional driving permit, you may not allow another person to drive it on a public road. You can, however, allow the other person to drive if they have a professional driving permit of the appropriate category.
You can only obtain a professional driver’s license if you meet the following requirements:
- You have a valid driver’s licence for the type of vehicle you’re applying for
- You’re over the required age limit (this varies depending on the type of vehicle in question),
- You’re certified by a doctor to be medically fit, certified by an approved training body (only required for certain types of vehicles)
- You haven’t been convicted of driving under the influence, reckless driving, or any other crime, and your driver’s licence isn’t suspended or cancelled. If you become medically unfit or are convicted of driving under the influence, reckless or negligent driving, or a criminal offense, your professional driving permit may be suspended or cancelled.
To apply for a PrDP, you will need the following documents:
- Your ID
- Two photographs (ID size), your driver’s license, and a certificate of criminal record police clearance
For more information, contact the Western Cape Department of Transport and Public Works’ Transport Administration and Licensing helpdesk.
How Much Does It Cost To Renew A PDP Licence?
In terms of cost, the issuance of a PrDP entails an application fee (R96. 00) and an issue fee (R96. 00). (R204. 00).
What documents do I need to renew my PDP?
Yes, in order to renew a Professional Driving Permit (PrDP), the applicant must undergo a medical examination, an eye exam, and have their fingerprints taken. The form that must be completed is the Application for Professional Driving Permit (Form PD1).
In South Africa, how do I renew my PDP online?
All Gauteng residents should apply online for renewal; bookings can be made at online.natis.gov.za, and customers can also download the necessary application forms from a separate page. Gauteng motorists can renew their driver’s licenses or apply for a professional driving permit (PDP).