Guy Buttery (26 November 1983) is a South African musician primarily known as a guitar player.Cited as “one of South Africa’s most influential artists over the past decade” by The Sunday Independent, Buttery’s distinctive acoustic style is influenced by traditional South African culture, music and instrumentation.
Guy Buttery Age
He was born on 26 November 1983 in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Buttery is 37 years old as of 2020.
Guy Buttery Career
Guy Buttery was born in a small coastal town outside of Durban, KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa. Buttery has found a way to play his unique style of guitar that is deeply South African while also speaking a global musical language. There’s credibility to his being described by pundits as a South African musical treasure. He studied Jazz at Kwa-Zulu Natal Technikon with Nibs van der Spuy and later on at the Durban School of Music, where he studied classical guitar with Leandros Stavrou for a brief period.
At the age of 18, Guy Buttery’s debut album was nominated for ‘Best Newcomer’ and ‘Best Instrumental’ at the South African Music Awards (SAMA’s) making him the youngest nominee in the history of the event. Guy has since gone on to collect two SAMA’s in 2010 and again in 2014. He has also received numerous other major accolades including The Standard Bank Ovation Award for his live performances at the National Arts Festival, and has been honoured with more of these prestigious awards than any other musician.
Guy was then invited to perform his works with the 52-piece KZN Philharmonic Orchestra dubbed “Africa’s greatest ensemble” with his solo performance voted “Top Live Show” by The Cape Times and was selected by the public as one of South Africa’s Top Young Personalities by The Mail & Guardian. In 2014 Guy married Brazilian fashion designer, Julia Mendes Pinheiro Franco.
In 2018, Guy received the highest accolade for a musician in South Africa and was awarded the Standard Bank Young Artist Award. In almost 4 decades of honouring artist throughout the country, this was the first time since its inception that the award was presented to a musician outside of the classical realm. The following year, Guy toured across 5 continents and released his debut collaborative album, titled “Nāḍī”, with Indian born sitar player and vocalist, Kanada Narahari. The album was voted a “Top of the World” release by leading World Music publication Songlines.
- When I Grow Up… (2002)
- Songs from the Cane Fields(2005)
- Fox Hill Lane (2009)
- To Disappear in Place (2011)
- In the Shade of the Wild Fig [with Nibs van der Spuy] (2012)
- Live in KwaZulu (2013)
- Guy Buttery (2016)
- Nāḍī [with Kanada Narahari] (2019)
- Live in Cape Town [with Derek Gripper] (2020)
- Guy Buttery & The Bandura Express Marimba Ensemble [with Bandura] (2020)
- The Farm Demos (2020)
- Live in Lisbon [with Nibs van der Spuy] (2020)
- Sonokota EP [with Kanada Narahari] (2020)
Awards & Nominations
- 2003 SAMA ‘Best Instrumental’ and ‘Best Newcomer’ Award Nominations for “When I Grow Up...”
- 2006 SAMA ‘Best Instrumental Album’ Nomination for “Songs from the Cane Fields”
- 2010 SAMA ‘Best Instrumental Album’ Award Winner for “Fox Hill Lane”
- 2010 Ovation Award – ‘Gold’ for ‘Best Music‘ at the National Arts Festival
- 2012 SAMA ‘Best Instrumental Album’ Nomination for “To Disappear in Place”
- 2012 SAMA ‘Best Instrumental Album’ Nomination for “In The Shade of the Wild Fig”
- 2012 Mail & Guardian Top Young South African – Voted by the public
- 2014 Ovation Award – ‘Silver’ for ‘Best Music‘ at the National Arts Festival
- 2014 SAMA ‘Best Classical and/or Instrumental Album’ Award Winner for “Live in KwaZulu”
- 2016 SAMA ‘Best Instrumental Album’ Nomination for “Guy Buttery”
- 2018 Standard Bank Young Artist Award for ‘Music’ (South Africa’s highest accolade for the Arts)
Guy Buttery Net Worth
Buttery has an estimated net worth of $400 000.
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
- The contents of this page are sourced from Wikipedia article on 1 Jan 2021. The contents are available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license.