Nomvula Mokonyane who goes by the full name Nomvula Paula Mokonyane was born on 28th June 1963 in Kagiso, South Africa. She is a South African politician, former Premier of Gauteng Province and the Minister of Communications since 2018.
Nomvula previously served as Minister in the Department of Water and Sanitation of South Africa from May 25, 2014, to January 2018.
Nomvula Mokonyane Age
She was born on the 28th of June 1963 in Kagiso, South Africa. As of 2018, she is 55 years old
Nomvula Mokonyane Husband
She is married to Serge Mokonyane.
Nomvula Mokonyane Contact Details
EMAIL: [email protected]
PHONE: 082 937 1598, 012 473 0442
Nomvula Mokonyane Education
- Nomvula Mokonyane matriculated at Masupatsela High School, Kagiso.
- She Received training in Local Government, Planning Management, and Community Development in Sweden.
- She Completed a Certificate Course in Emerging Economics from Wharton Business School at Pensylvania University.
- She has a Certificate in Economics and Finance from Harvard Business School and a leadership and governance certificate.
- She also has a Certificate in Project Planning.
Nomvula Mokonyane Political Career
- Her political career began in the early 1980s as a student activist. She was a founder member of the Congress of South African Students (Cosas) and a member of the Young Christian Students (YCS).
- She was the publicity secretary of the Krugersdorp branch of the United Democratic Front and an organizer of the Federation of Transvaal Women (Fedtaw), an organization that supported the families of detainees and the youth in their fight for democratic student representative councils.
- In 1990 after the unbanning of political organizations she was involved in the re-establishment of the ANC and SACP structures.
- As from 1994, she served in the Gauteng Legislature in various portfolio committees before she was appointed MEC of Agriculture, Conservation and Environment in 1996.
- In 1999 she became the MEC for Safety and Liason until 2004 when she was appointed Housing MEC a position she held until 2009.
- She is a member of the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the African National Congress elected at the 52nd national conference in 2007 in Polokwane.
- On May 6, 2009, she was sworn in as Premier of Gauteng becoming the first female premier.
- On May 25, 2014, she was appointed Minister of Water Affairs and Sanitation, a new Ministry created to combat water issues and serious sanitation problems across the country.
- On November 22, 2018, she was appointed the minister of Environmental Affairs, a Ministry that was previously held by the late Edna Molwena.
Nomvula Mokonyane Membership
- 1994- 1994: National Co-ordinator for the ANCWL
- 1996- 1999: Member of the Gauteng Executive Council for Agriculture,
Conservation and Environment
- 1999- 2004: Member of the Gauteng Executive Council for Safety and Liaison.
- 2004- 2009: Member of the Gauteng Executive Council MEC for Housing