Through this post, we will take a look at the UJ online application process and requirements for the year 2021.
The University of Johannesburg is a public university that is located in Johannesburg, South Africa.
UJ came into existence on 1 January 2005 as a result of the merger between the Rand Afrikaans University(RAU), the Technikon Witwatersrand (TWR) and the Soweto and East Rand campuses of Vista University.
The University of Johannesburg is encouraging students to apply online or paper-based for the 2021 academic year. The deadline is in 30 October 2020.
UJ ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS 2021
Undergraduate – Please consult the “UJ Undergraduate Prospectus 2020” obtainable from the UJ Web www.uj.ac.za/apply for full details of the admission requirements pertaining to the programme for which you intend to enroll.
Postgraduate – Please consult the relevant Faculty or visit the UJ website for more information.
Important information – New applicants
- In the case of applicants re-writing Grade 12 subjects, applications will be processed on the current results available. If Grade 12 has been written more than once then your combined results must be submitted with your application.
- Applicants writing the National Senior Certificate (NSC) through IEB or SACAI examining bodies can apply online by selecting “National Senior Certificate” under the Results Detail page of the online application process.
- Applicants currently in Grade 12 may be requested to provide certified copies of final Grade 11 results for verification and auditing purposes.
- Applicants may only apply for two study choices. These study choices can’t be amended once they have been chosen.
- Knowing the qualification requirements will avoid disappointment when applying. Therefore, ensure you consult with the 2020 Undergraduate Prospectus when completing your application.
Important information – Re-applicants/Transfer applicants/Senior applicants
- Applicants may only apply for two study choices. These study choices may not be amended once they have been chosen.
- Applicants already in possession of a UJ student number must use their existing student number when applying.
- To verify or update your cell number/email details – contact the UJ Call Centre on 011 559 4555.
- Applicants transferring from another university/tertiary institution are required to declare their previous studies when applying as well as upload a full academic record/transcript and degree/diploma certificate (if applicable). Please refer to “Document upload requirements when applying online” below for more information on the uploading of documents.
- If you forgot your pin then select “Request a PIN” using your existing UJ student number. A PIN will be sent to you via email. Thereafter, login using your student number and PIN provided.
Checklist for applying
- Valid email address (Gmail or Yahoo mail account).
- Have the requirements for study choices been met (see prospectus).
- If the residence is required then a deposit of R1220 must be paid.
- Certified and individually scanned documents if completed Grade 12 (see process below). Document upload requirements when applying online (not applicable to applicants currently in grade 12 or internal transfer/Senior applicants):
- All documents must be certified When uploading documents, ensure that the scanned file is a maximum of 512KB and that all documents are scanned in any of the following types – tiff, pdf, jpg or gif
- Each document must be scanned and uploaded as separate attachments
- Alternatively, documents can be emailed to [email protected] with the provisional reference/student number noted in the subject line of the email.
UJ has TWO different methods of applying. You have the option to choose only ONE of the following:
ONLINE Web Application = FREE
OFFLINE Paper Application = R200 (click here to download the hardcopy application form)
UJ APPLICATION FEES
R200-00 (non-refundable) – if applying using this paper form.
NB: Postal orders are not accepted (neither local nor international)
UJ Prospectus 2021
Click here to download the University of Johannesburg (UJ) Prospectus 2020.
UJ Frequently Asked Questions
When do I apply?
UJ’s 2021 application cycle opens in April 2020.
How many choices of study may I apply for?
Undergraduate – Two
Postgraduate – Two
When and how will I receive the outcome of my application?
Online applicants will receive either a final or deferred status within 48 hours. Hardcopy applicants will receive either a final or deferred status within 5 working days.
Can I apply without a copy of my ID/Passport document?
Yes, you can apply without submitting a copy of your ID/Passport document.
Can I use the downloaded application form or do I request an original form?
Yes, you may submit a completed application form that you have downloaded.
Can I apply via email?
No, you may not apply via email. Applicants are encouraged to apply online. Applicants wanting to submit a hardcopy application form can submit their application form at any of the four UJ campuses or the application can be sent via post to the University.
Can I fax my application form?
No, you may not fax your application form. Applicants are encouraged to apply online. Applicants wanting to submit a hardcopy application form can submit their application form at any of the four UJ campuses or the application can be sent via post to the University.
Can I apply with my mid-year grade 12 results for undergraduate programmes?
No, you may not. Applicants currently in grade 12 must either enter their final grade 11 results online or fill it in on the Hardcopy application form. Selection for applicants who completed grade 12 will be done based on their final grade 12 results.
Do I get credits for courses offered at colleges?
Universities and colleges are not all on the same NQF level of study. However, you may enquire at the relevant faculty to verify credit applications.
Do you have financial assistance at UJ?
Yes, we have NSFAS, Eduloan, and bursaries, which you may enquire about at our Finance Department on each of our four campuses.
Can I change campuses?
Yes, you can change campuses if and only if the course is offered at the campus on which you wish to study. This would also depend on space availability.
Can I upgrade my results at UJ?
No. You may, however, contact the Department of Basic Education to enquire about this.
Do I need to pay the application fee if I have previously applied at UJ?
No, this is a one-off payment.
What procedures do I follow if have not received a response from UJ?
You may call the UJ Call Centre on 011 559 4555 to enquire or refer to the UJ website if you want to check your status – https://student.uj.ac.za/status.aspx
Do I need to apply again if I have applied the previous year and have not been accepted?
Yes, an applicant is required to fill out another application form for each academic year.
How does one qualify for a mature age exemption?
You would have to contact Universities South Africa (uSAf) to enquire about this. uSAf will evaluate your matric results and advise if you qualify for mature age exemption or not.
Can I apply for Undergradaute studies if I am writing the National Senior Certificate (NSC) through IEB or SACAI examining bodies?
Yes, Applicants writing the National Senior Certificate (NSC) through IEB or SACAI examining bodies can apply online by selecting “National Senior Certificate” under the Results Detail page of the online application process.
How do I apply towards a NSFAS bursary?
Applicants can click on the following link to apply online for a NSFAS bursary – https://my.nsfas.org.za/sites/selfservice