Siza Mzimela whose full name is Sizakele Petunia Mzimela is the first black woman to start an airline. She founded and is also the Chief Executive Officer of Fly Blue Crane.
It is a start-up airline which launched on 1 September 2015. Siza was listed as one of Forbes magazine’s most powerful women in 2011.
She has also served as the first female member of the board of governors of the International Air Transport Association, which is based in Miami, Florida, USA.
Siza Mzimela Education Background
- Student at the University of Pretoria, GIBS Business School at Transnet Executive Women’s Programme.
- Student at the University of Swaziland where she studied Bachelor of Arts (BA), Economics and Statistics.
Siza Mzimela Career
Her successful career began in small business and retail division of Standard Bank in 1991. She joined Total SA in 1994 as a Corporate Planning Analyst responsible for managing capital projects.
Siza in 1996 joined SA Airways as a research analyst. She was appointed in the year 2001 as the Executive Vice President of global passenger services.
Siza Mzimela Fly Blue Crane
Mzimela and two ex-SAA colleagues, Jerome Simelane and Theunis Potgieter launched Fly Blue Crane on 1st September 2015.
At the launch of Fly Blue Crane, she said that she hopes to expand the airline to include routes to Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- January 2015- Present: Chief Executive Officer at Fly Blue Crane.
- January 2012 – Present: Executive chairperson of Blue Crane Aviation.
- January 2010- January 2012: Chief Executive Officer of South African Express Airways.
- January 2003 – January 2010: Chief Executive Officer at South African Express Airways.
- January 2002- January 2003: Executive vice president, Global Sales and Voyager at South African Airways.
- January 2001- January 2002: Executive Vice President, Global Passenger Services at South African Airways.
Siza Mzimela Membership
- Board member of SA Tourism
- Member of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls.
Siza Mzimela Net Worth & Salary
Though her actual net worth is not known, she had a take-home salary of R4.96 million as of 2014.